I’m sorry, but this is not cool.

So, we had a bit of a kerfuffle at Middlebury College yesterday. Campus Democrats and Republicans placed 2,977 flags on the grounds in front of Mead Memorial Chapel, to commemorate the victims of 9/11/2001.

And then five people came along and ripped them all out,claiming that the flags were on a sacred Abenaki burial site.

Mmmkay, if you say so. But riddle me this, Abenaki sympathizers: This memorial is an annual event at Middlebury. It’s been done for “nearly ten years,” according to the campus newspaper.

Did it just now become a sacred burial site?

Has there ever been any communication between the Abenaki and the College about the site, its significance, and appropriate uses thereof? Or did this just sort of happen?

But let’s, just for a moment, leave all that aside. Let’s accept the flag-rippers’ assertion. Just for a moment.

Is this the right way to respond?

I’m sorry, but no. This is the kind of mindlessly, thoughtlessly provocative action that gives peaceful protest a bad name.

Now, if you want to have a dialogue about the sacredness of this site, if you want to bring in archaeologists and tribal officials and make your case, try to work out an agreement with the College, I’d be all for that. I’d hope that the College would listen and respond appropriately. If the site is that important to Abenaki history and culture, I think it’d be good to memorialize that in some visible way. And maybe next year, the flags can be placed somewhere else on campus.

But please: come forward, present your evidence, make your case. Don’t vandalize a heartfelt commemoration.  

5 thoughts on “I’m sorry, but this is not cool.

1. I suspect there was as much disrespect paid to the Abenaki in this thoughtless act as to the 9/11 victims.

‘Great way to discredit the Abenaki recognition effort.

There have been plenty of more appropriate  opportunities to demonstrate against “American Imperialism.”  This just makes the vandals look clueless, selfish, and  insensitive.

2. Were these five flag snatchers Abenakis?  Somehow, from the photo, and the act itself, I get the feeling they are white kids.  I may be wrong.  It doesn’t seem like any member of the Abenaki nation would not do what John suggested in his post–Talk it over first.  I’m not Mister God Bless America, but I find this act foolish, and, as Sue said, detrimental to The Abenaki people. (Was that the point?)  Assholery.  No wonder this country is soooo f’d up.

3. I’m a big fan of protest, including civil disobedience, and I generally hate when people critique another’s acts of conscience.  That said, I have a hard time with tactics that don’t fit into a well-advertised strategic arc.

Did anybody alert folks responsible for the memorial that there might be an issue with sacred land through letters, petitions, something laying out demands to find an alternative site, or if it’s an antiwar protest, why they’re offended by the display?  Do any symbolic protests that didn’t involve dismantling the memorial first in a minor escalation?  Etc.

Defiant acts are pretty useless without explaining what you’re trying to accomplish.  Otherwise, you’re probably being counterproductive to whatever cause you claim to be fighting for.  Or you’re just assholes excusing asshole behavior.

4. This Just In

Student suspended in flag removal

October 18,2013

MIDDLEBURY – A Middlebury College student who removed American flags from campus set up to commemorate the lives lost in the Sept. 11 attacks has been suspended for a year.

http://www.timesargus.com/arti